Saturday 27 September 2014

More Arms, more pints

Hello,

     a few things have happened since I last wrote. Here's a sort of round up thing. You know, to tell you what they are....

A day after posting about the desire for the Wellington to reopen as a pub the signs on it, in Darnall, were changed to read "Shop to let" with suggestions for a mini supermarket or restaurant undreneath. I'm not remotely surprised but this is a shame to hear.

Despite this potential threat which I hope isn't a poorly judged political stunt, the University Arms reopened on 15 September following a refurbishment. There was a Welbeck Abbey beer on which we both had and some Kelham Island Pale Rider which I had for old times sakes. I also had a bottle of the Camden Hells since it was on offer. I read somewhere that people had fallen out with Camden as they had tried to copyright the word hello. Or something. To be honest I didn't read the details....

Refurb wise it looks a little darker and perhaps a little classier, but I understand the big changes have taken place upstairs. In my usual form, ignoring investigative vigour, I did not go upstairs. You should though.

I went to the Brothers Arms on Well Road in Heeley a couple more times, ate plenty more Onion Bhaji's and drank a frankly astonishing pint (or in fact 5) of the Blackjack Red Rye Saison, at 7.2% and selling at £3.20 a pint. Loving saison and rye as I do, that was a very enjoyable drink. There continues to be much to admire at the Arms, with the exception perhaps of the member of staff who couldn't recommend or even describe a beer I asked about...!

Recent trips to the Bath Hotel have heralded 3 amazing beers. Most notable was Wild Beer Co Sourdough kegged sour beer, which was delightful and not bad value at £3.80 a pint. The other was the matchless elegance of the Desert Sessions which was brewed at Thornbridge by Ed and Steff from behind the bar. The final is the Raven Black IPA from Thornbridge which is on good form. Drank some Deseret Sessions last Saturday with friends Clare and Gav on a rather raucous night out following pints in Shakespeares.

Of which I can report, they have greatly extended their bottled beer selection and printed a list, of which there are about 3 copies on some tables. The prices are competitive as always and the Evil Twin, Kernel and Beavertown ones are highlights. Recent good beers in here have been the Waen Knicklejacker (knuckleknocker/knickleknacker - I didn't write it down sorry) which was a very pleasing red ale, along with the excellent Liverpool Stout.

A trip to a new venue on Thursday, the Anchorage bar diner on the usually terrible for beer West One. Pricey and very much foody but having about 10 keg taps, we had two astonishing halves. Miss N had a UK cheery sour which was described by the barman as odd but instead was fantastic tasting, and I had the Alechemy Rye Rye IPA which was very easy to drink. I hear the food is also good so will have to pop in again.

We recently went to Henry's and had some decent India Ale from the recently rocky fortunes of Chantry Brewery (in so far as their beer has been disappointing in numerous venues). This was competitively priced around £2.60 a pint and after we had this we went to the Brewhouse next door. I'm determined to like this place but the flaws still keep coming up. The cask range of cloudy tasters from the non operating brewery never tempts me and there was nothing really hoppy or stoutish on the bar. In the end I bought Miss N a pint of a milk stout or similar which was OK but lackluster, and I bought a pint of punk IPA, as I've never had it on Keg. To my amazement it was over £5.00 a pint, which is, I understand, more than it costs in BrewDog bar.

It seems strange that Henry;s keep their beer well and maintain an interesting selection but the bar next door which they own falls short so often. Perhaps the brewery working in the premises will improve things?

Finally,I went to a new pub on Sunday. We popped in the Riverside on Leppings Lane for a pint of Farmers Cherry Bitter which was actually very nice, not too fruity, and sat on the terrace overlooking the Wednesday ground. From here we walked along Beeley Wood Road in sunshine and through the woods to Oughtibridge. We visited the Cock Inn which is a large traditional boozer on the road linking the two main roads.

There used to be, Miss N assures me, an unspoilt games room on the right, alas this is now a tea room, but the pub has a cosy traditional feel and sells three real ales including Bradfield Blonde. On this occasion we had a very enjoyable pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord and sat round the back. Overall this was a good boozer with much to recommend it so will maybe pop back soon.

That's all the news I have or can remember for now. Really. It actually is. Wibble.

Cheers!

Wee Beefy

No comments:

Post a Comment